Saturday, September 18, 2010

The Road to Paradise - Chester Arnold


"The Road To Paradise" By Chester Arnold


I went to the Nevada Museum of Art on very warm Saturday afternoon.  I walked
 through all the exhibits but left Chester Arnold's exhibit as the finale.  Once I walked
into the oversized window doors I noticed his exhibit was definately the biggest.  I'm
going to be completely honest and say that at first glance most of his paintings were not
that "interesting", to me.  But the one piece that really stood out the most to me was
"The Road To Paradise".  The reason it stood out to me is because I feel like the
painting is a metaphor to Chester's very own road to paradise.  And i love paintings
that are kind of a metaphor.  Also, I noticed the piece consisted of many objects that are
the key element in Arnold's other art pieces.  Some of those objects are: tires, chopped
wood, an ax, water, a boot, grass, and a lot more.  In a number of his art pieces Chester
shows either his love or hate towards nature and its destruction.  In the painting it
clearly shows an old beautiful creak that has been ruined by waist, like a broken tire
swing, a body of a car, paint brushes, a bursting water pipe, junk mail, cigarette butts,
etc.  This piece is relevent to any day or time because anywher you can find a once
beautiful area and later find it an old, run down, ugly area.





ps i could not fix the darn alignment...sorry...i tried.

1 comment:

  1. This is a good start but clearly needs more research. Why did he title it Road to Paradise? What are the metaphors for today's society. A lot of the answers to these questions were in the book at the museum and written on the walls at the exhibit.

    ReplyDelete